Sunday 21 April 2013

The Integrated Approach

As one who has training in Language Education, I have been long sold on the integrated approach as a method that is effective in classroom instruction. Consequently, when I again encountered it in this module, I had no problems seeing its value in the ICT enabled classroom.  

Despite its many benefits, there are challenges to be faced when seeking to use the integrated approach.  There is the issue of limited technological resources, lack of support from administrators and colleagues, lack of training, and problems with adapting the existing "old" curriculum to this new teaching approach.

What I however consider to be the greatest challenge in our Vincentian context, relates to the beliefs of our teachers re how teaching and learning should take place.  Ours is still a very traditional system, with a teacher-centered approach.  The integrated approach demands that the learner becomes the center of all that occurs in the classroom; hence there is a major conflict between the traditional and integrated approaches.  Success in using the latter would therefore require significant adjustments to one's philosophy of teaching.

I have personally been able to significantly adjust my method of operation in my classroom.  This did not happen overnight, nor was it easy.  In fact, it is still a work in progress. I do intend to continue to refine my classroom practice, all to the benefit of the students under my care. 




No comments:

Post a Comment